St. Thomas More Newman Center at Minnesota State Mankato
This proposed new church and fellowship facility, located near the Minnesota State University - Mankato campus, will provide an expanded home for the St. Thomas More Newman Center.
History: The Newman Center has been a part of the campus since 1921. A new building was built in 1961, a two-story structure with a library containing over 3000 books, an auditorium that accommodated up to 400 students, a chapel, classrooms, boardroom, cafeteria/rec room, and complete housing facilities for the chaplain, visiting priests, and club president. In 1978 when the entire campus relocated to a new hilltop location, the organization reluctantly sold its building and moved to the new campus. Since then they have been operating out of a two-story home adjacent to the campus.
New Facility: The new proposed building will mark the return a landmark facility directly adjacent to the Minnesota State Mankato campus. The design of the building has a contemporary image with brightly day lit spaces and is designed for their primary audience -- youth and university students.
The master plan and conceptual design for the new facility includes a large sanctuary with a walk-in baptismal font area, that can be open to the sanctuary for larger audiences or partitioned off for smaller group uses. The Blessed Sacrament Chapel, a small private worship area is located directly behind the altar. Administrative offices, conference rooms, open work area, a lounge and game room are also included in the master plan.
The new church facility also features a second-story dormitory for priests, seminary students, or visitors. An attached two-car garage will store the parish's van and/or visitor vehicles.
Completed SD: created schematic plans, elevations & renderings. Currently in frundraising/capital campaign phase. Starting DD: structural design and further modifying plans.